Tuesday, July 5, 2011

First day of FW Worlds






Greetings from sunny and WINDY Puerto Rico! I'm hugely impressed by the ability of professional windsurfers to hold on to 11 and 12 meter sails in 20-25 knots of wind. On the 4th of July, I went out on a 5.8 and 111L board and felt my board was way too "big" while these guys were screaming up and down wind on Formula boards and 11 meter sails. I honestly don't know how they do it.

Today I was fortunate to spectate from a boat for the first races of the world championship and I managed to get some pictures and video. Right now all I have is raw video that needs to be edited, but here's a couple of pictures so you can see what's been going on. Looking at the video, it is hard to see the mayhem that ensues when the racers that started on starboard tack converge with those that started on port tack. These starts were action packed and full of crashes and trashed gear, but the camera got none of it because of the movement of the boat and my less than steady hand. Crazy fun stuff to watch though!

Results and links to official pics at http://www.formulawindsurfing.org/


No comments:

Post a Comment